Chimney Fire: 5 Surefire Signs You Have A Problem
The risk of a chimney fire can go undetected for months when a homeowner does not know the common signs.
As colder weather settles in, homeowners start fires in their fireplaces to keep warm. Unfortunately, with an increase in fireplace usage, there’s an increased chance of a chimney fire occurring by surprise.
The professionals at SERVPRO of North Fulton understand that a chimney fire can be a scary experience. However, the key to ensuring that severe damage from a chimney fire does not happen to your home is knowing the common signs and taking action quickly when they’re discovered.
In the following blog post, we will review the five most common signs of a chimney fire and how the fire damage restoration professionals at SERVPRO of North Fulton can help combat fire damage.
What causes a chimney fire?
The professionals at SERVPRO of North Fulton have helped restore and rebuild numerous homes after a chimney fire occurred, and here are the three leading causes of chimney fires:
- Improper chimney maintenance is the number one cause of chimney fires. A creosote build-up inside the chimney can ignite and start a fire.
- Using incorrect fuel is another common cause of chimney fires. For example, sparks can fly out and ignite the chimney when burning fuels like coal or charcoal in a fireplace.
- Chimney obstructions are also a common cause of chimney fires. For example, a bird’s nest, leaves, or other debris can easily block the airflow and cause a chimney fire.
The five signs
Now that you know the causes of a chimney fire, it’s time to learn the five signs of a chimney fire.
1) Smoke and sparks coming from the fireplace
One of the most common signs of a chimney fire is when smoke and sparks start coming out of the fireplace. If you notice this, it’s essential to take action quickly to prevent further damage to your property.
2) An increase in the number of ashes produced.
Another common sign of a chimney fire is an increase in ashes, usually caused by a fire and creosote build-up inside the chimney. Consider an inspection when you start seeing more ash after a fire.
3) A “roaring” sound coming from the chimney
If you hear a roaring sound from your chimney, it’s a sure sign of a fire. The roaring sound is caused by the fire’s intense heat igniting the chimney’s creosote.
4) The formation of soot or creosote on the inside of the chimney or fireplace
If you notice that soot or creosote has started forming on your chimney or fireplace inside, it’s a sign that a chimney fire might have already occurred. Prevent another by contacting professionals for an assessment.
5) Damaged or cracked masonry around the fireplace or chimney opening
Another common sign of a chimney fire is damaged or cracked masonry around the fireplace or chimney opening. Cracks usually happen when the intense heat from the chimney fire causes the bricks to expand and break.
Steps to take after noticing a chimney fire
If you notice any of these signs of a chimney fire, it’s essential to take action quickly. The first step is to extinguish the fire in the fireplace if it’s safe to do so. Once the fire is extinguished, you need to call a company that offers chimney sweeps to come and inspect the chimney. A chimney sweep can determine if there has been any damage.
If your chimney has fire damage, contact a fire damage restoration company. These professionals will be able to assess the damage and start the restoration process quickly, ensuring the safe use of your chimney for next season!
How SERVPRO of North Fulton can help
Remember, the five signs that there has been a chimney fire are:
- Smoke and sparks coming from the fireplace
- An increase in the number of ashes produced
- A “roaring” sound coming from the chimney
- The formation of soot or creosote on the inside of the chimney or fireplace
- Damaged or cracked masonry around the fireplace or chimney opening
The best way to prevent a chimney fire in the future is to get your chimney inspected once a year and cleaned if necessary.
When a chimney fire causes destruction, the most important thing to do is to contact a professional fire restoration company like SERVPRO of North Fulton. We understand how important it is to get your home back to normal after a chimney fire. Our team of IICRC-certified professionals is available 24/7 to help you through every step of the process. If you have questions about chimney fires or need help with chimney fire cleanup, don’t hesitate to contact us today!